Saturday, May 30, 2009

Life Lessons and Godmother of the Year

Yep, that's me...godmother of the year. My godson is an amazing, energetic, fun, wonderful four-year old boy. I went over to my friend's house last week after a fairly brutal day of work and when I walked in the door, he came over and gave me a HUGE hug to make me feel better. I have found that he gives the best hugs!

My sweetheart of a godson has learned that winning is wonderful and losing...not so wonderful. So, we're trying to teach him that it's OK to be unhappy if you don't win, but it's not OK to quit or cry or insist on starting over five times. It's a tough lesson and there are a lot of adults still learning this lesson...case in point, his very loving, typically good sport godmother.

For his birthday last week, he got a new Wii game...Monsters vs. Aliens. I love this movie and he wanted me to play the game with him and I was happy to comply. I'm not very good at video games (see number 64 on my 100 Things) but they're still fun and I love my boy. This is a two player game: one person (me) is B.O.B. who is trying to get from Point A to Point B. The other person (AJ) is a gun, shooting at things that make B.O.B.'s journey much more difficult. So, as I'm going along, AJ keeps shooting at me! He's knocking me off of platforms and B.O.B. keeps saying, "ow, you got me" and making other outbursts. AJ is having a grand old time and I, well...I'm getting annoyed. After the tenth time of being blown off the platform, I said, "AJ, playing this game with you is just not fun." I tossed my controller down and stalked out of the room like a...well, like a four year old. Luckily, my friend thought it was funny rather than a horrible lesson for the son she's so lovingly bringing up to be a happy winner and a gracious loser. She told me something that was very wise. See, I was thinking that the object of the game was to try to get B.O.B. to fulfill his mission and successfully reach Point B when actually the point of the game was to be a moving target. She said that if I'm playing the game with the intent of being the target, it's a lot more fun. Huh! I think this lesson applies not just to my attitude toward the game but my attitude toward life. Perhaps my mindset is just getting to Point B when really I need to be exploring the possibilities of where I am in the meantime...we'll call it Point 1 1/2. Maybe it would be fun to fall of a few platforms or get lost and ask a four year old for directions. It turns out, they have a better grip on what's important than we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment