Monday, May 4, 2009

The First of Many...

I've been thinking off and on about how I would start my first post...should I start off with crochet? That is my hobby, my passion, and the title of this blog. But the other part of my title is Whimsies...that leaves my discussion topics pretty wide-open! So, after much thought and being the big movie fan that I am, I think I'll start my blog like we're already in the middle of a conversation...like Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks in "You've Got Mail." I guess that's kind of an older movie now...I don't go to the movies as much as I used to and now that I think about it, it has been a SERIOUSLY long time since I rewarded myself with a movie weekend. You know the kind...where you rent five movies you've been wanting to see forever and you only end up liking two. I'm also a big Friends fan and I work quotes into my conversations as often as possible. It's not that difficult really because everything in life can SOMEHOW be related back to Friends. It's a proven fact, just ask my friends.

Hmm...well, first things first...CROCHET!! I was recently reading another yarn lover's blog and she was talking about all her unfinished projects. It got me thinking about all the pieces in the corner calling my name. I try not to look directly at them, like if I can't see them, they can't see me. This one gets the most attention, it's my favorite take-along project because I have the pattern memorized and it's easily portable.



It's eventually going to be a decorative bedspread but right now, it's just a bunch (and I do mean a BUNCH) of squares...very pretty squares, but nothing very bedspread-like. To be honest, I'm afraid that once I get halfway through, I'm going to run out of steam and my friends and family will be receiving very pretty square coasters for all holidays and birthdays from here to eternity. When I first learned to crochet I attempted granny squares and I promised myself that I would NEVER do them again. The pattern is so pretty though I decided that I needed the challenge. What does your mother always tell you? Never say never, because not only do I have the bedspread, I have this...


I justified these because they are very large squares and thus, will need less work to assemble. I managed to make one square of each color pattern and then moved on to the next soon-to-be orphan. As you can see, I'm not a big fan of weaving in the ends and I have only haphazardly tried to hide them in this picture, and not only that but they've been stuffed in a bag for so long, they refuse to lay flat. *sigh* If I run out of steam on these, every child in my family will have a blanket for her Barbie.

There are half finished projects all over the house and my roommate is so cool to put up with my yarn stash!


Here are a few other projects that are hidden in the mess, er, ahem, the gold mine that is my corner...


A purse that will be so cool once I have covered and attached all the rings...


A blanket whose stitches looked so intricate but turned out to be quite simple and so I grew bored and carelessly abandoned it...


A baby blanket that I misread the pattern and thought it was supposed to be much longer than necessary. I was about to run out of yarn but it would probably be fine now that I know the length was off. Have I attempted to finish it? Why, no. There are about a million ends to weave in and we know my opinion of weaving...yuck.


Now this, this I will finish. It is a baby blanket in progress for a friend. It's my favorite pattern and I never get bored working on it.

It's going to take me a while to complete all of these projects (if ever, let's face it) because I keep adding new projects to the collection. Hey, look! A pattern for hexagons! At least they're not squares, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment