Sunday, June 21, 2009

Randomness and Memories

I apologize for not posting sooner.  Things were really busy and then I got some kind of weird bug that didn't make me sick, other than a pretty bad sore throat, but it wiped me out.  I had no energy at all and today I'm finally feeling like myself again.

So, in my blogging absence, I took a knitting class!  It went really well and the teacher said my stitches look really good and she's going to try to find an easy pattern for me so I can actually make something other than 4 X 4 swatches...

I'm really excited about my next class, I'll keep practicing in the meantime.  It still feels a little awkward and slow but I'm getting better. 

I also started a scarf.  I saw this yarn and couldn't resist the color.  It's so pretty and sooooo soft.

There is an edging to put on each end and then it's finished.

On a reminiscent note, I've recently started to taking my lunch to work so every evening before I go to bed, I get everything ready for the next day.  It just so happens that I thought peanut butter and jelly sandwiches sounded pretty good for lunch this week so I went to the store and got the stuff.  You'd think the PB&J would be staples in any house but apparently, not mine.  When I opened the top of the peanut butter, I remembered what my mom used to do when we were kids.  Every time we opened a new jar of Jif...

she'd take the knife and draw a smiley face in the top of the fresh jar. 

Then I started making the sandwich...just the way my dad always made them.  You mix the peanut butter and jelly together, and then spread it on the bread.  For some reason it tastes better that way.

It's funny how memories like that stay with you.  Little things that bring back your childhood.  Every time I open a fresh peanut butter jar, I always draw a smiley face in it and I always mix the PB&J together.  And I will do these things for my kids too.  I consider them little expressions of love.  I love you, Mom. I miss you, Dad.

3 comments:

  1. Every time I slice a sandwich, I think of the sandwiches my dad used to make for me because he used to slice the halves unevenly. I would feel sorry for him, thinking that there was something wrong with him. One day I asked him about his uneven cutting, and he replied that he didn't take the time to cut them evenly because when we eat them, all the pieces end up different sizes anyway! haha!
    I miss my dad too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got goosebumps and tears in my eyes. I love what a sentimental fool you are! Just like me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pattern in the pink scarf is so lovely.

    And I must say, I've never heard of mixing the PB&J together first! :^)

    ReplyDelete