Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New York Day 1

So I went out of town to visit my friend, Kris.


This is how far White Plains is from Orlando.


We had the BEST time. The weather was pretty icky the first few days so we laid low. I was fighting a nasty cold, which now that I think about it happened the last time I was traveling. It started off the exact same way, a sore throat that was more bothersome than anything and just when I thought I was going to be fine, I was struck down to the point of not wanting to touch yarn. I was feeling better when I landed in New York. I’d realized that morning that I was probably going to live and decided that I was OK with that.

Saturday we rode into the city (New York City!!) with Kris’s friends and went to the MOMA. What an amazing museum. I don’t pretend to know anything about art, I’m pretty clueless. I mean, how can you paint a yellow stripe on a blank wall and call it art?? I can do that. Anyway, we saw some really questionable, intriguing, beautiful things. Even though I was walking around with a very quizzical look on my face most of the time, I really enjoyed taking everything in.




Kris’s cousin and his friend met us at the museum and we headed to lunch. If you ever get a chance to eat at Dallas BBQ, I highly recommend the wings.


We had to take a cab to the restaurant from the museum. I’ve been in cabs before but never a NYC cab and I’m all about capturing this trip on film so I climb in and take a picture of the cab, and there’s a TV in the back of the seat so you can check out the news or how expensive your ride is getting. So I had to take a picture of that too. Now, I wanted to ride the subway and it was on my list of things to do (yes, I know how silly that sounds) but there’s a reason riding in a cab wasn’t on that list. Those guys are CRAZY! They’re changing lanes, cutting people off, speeding up really fast and then slamming on the brakes. And you’re just sitting there in the back seat along for the ride. Our group was really quiet so I leaned up and asked the cabby how long he’d lived in New York. “Two days,” he replied. I didn’t believe him. “Where are you from?” I tried again. “New Jersey.” I didn’t believe him when he said that either. Kris laughed at me and told me to stop trying to chat up the oh-so-talkative driver. She said, “You can tell you’re not from here.” I said, “Of course I’m not from here. I’m taking pictures of the inside of the cab!” I guess you can take the girl out of Indiana…

We were planning to head back into New York Sunday afternoon, do some sightseeing, catch a Broadway show, stay overnight and then do a few little touristy things Monday but when we woke up Sunday morning, it was not only bitter cold, it was drizzling and it didn't let up all day long. It ended up being such a nice, relaxing day for us. We slept in, went and got a mani/pedi, relaxed around the house, and I also got to go to the biggest dairy store in the world, Stew Leonards!


Even though it was freezing and still raining a little bit, we got some of their soft serve ice cream and walked around their maze of a store. I could have taken a whole bunch of pictures of the fun, moving, singing, dancing displays but Kris rolled her eyes and laughed at me when I asked her to take this one...


so I decided that while I will never see these people again and could probably get away with thinking the singing chicken was photo-worthy, she might run into that lady over by the cheese counter who's giving me funny looks again, and maybe I should do my mama proud and be on my best behavior! I did have to take a picture of the pumpkins.


There were so MANY of them. It was an ocean of orange.

Once we got home, we played Yahtzee. I won one game. I actually got Yahtzee! This is my goober "I'm winning!" face.


Isn't that lovely. Thanks, Kris. hehe

This post is getting very long and picture heavy so I will post about our second day in New York tomorrow. And yarn…yummy yarn!

No comments:

Post a Comment